Monday, June 22, 2015

Grand-Anna ...

Grand-Anna

Page 1 of 3

            Us kids called her Grand-Anna when she was thirty-two. She started walking slower and began to forget her keys in the shower, the sink, and twice in the toaster. She wrote letters to relatives as if they were friends and asked her friends over for weekly bingo night.
I walked in on her one time in the bathroom and she did not object. She only glanced up from her Chicken Soup for the Soul reader and told me not to be embarrassed.
            I started to wash the grit out of the creases in my fingers. My brother Matthew was using the other sink after our foolhardy adventures outside. When I glanced up in the landscape mirror I saw Anna still looking at me over her reading glasses – not bifocals, not yet.
             I mumbled an apology for interrupting her private time. I promised it would only take another minute. Even with the moisturizing soap my too-long nails scratched lines into my red palms.
            “I don’t care who sees me anymore,” she said, taking me by surprise. And I was the one wearing pants. “This body of mine has been through enough.  It should be in a war museum.”
            “Don’t say that,” I murmured. I did not want to look at her directly, but I did. She was smiling, as I thought she would be. I guess I just needed an excuse to look at her deeply bronzed and wrinkled skin.
            “It’s true,” she said. “I put it through hell.”
            Hell was a bad word in our household. My breath hissed out, as if it was a charm that would banish the consequences brought by that word.
            She must have heard my sharp exhale, because then she said, “What else can you call neglecting proper sun protection and watching middle school children run their mile? It wasn’t enough that I hardly took a day’s vacation, but I took the odd summer hours up at the point.”
            I had probably heard this story a million times, about how she was a P.E. teacher and a lifeguard in the overflow season at the beach.
            Somehow I asked this time, “Did you swim at the beach a lot?”
            “Swim a lot? It seemed all I was doing was swimming.” Her hands dropped onto her knees and she leaned forward, as if she was ready to go there now. “A full two weeks before the season started I would have to go out every day at five a.m. and train my muscles up. That way, when someone got into trouble going too far out in that massive surf – and they always went too far out – I could get them and bring them into safety.”
            Her eyes shone brightly as she relived the past.
            “You miss swimming,” I stated. My hands were dripping all over mom’s new rug. I wrapped my scratched and clean hands in the dry towel hanging on the drawer.
            “Yes, especially in the mornings.” Her forehead wrinkled as a thought crossed it. Grand-Anna glanced out the window at the magnolia tree that would soon have to come out because of a persistent fungus. “But thank God for airbags.”
            We had heard about her accident, of course, from the pieces of her letters that Mom had read to us before Grand-Anna came to visit. But the notion of a horrific car accident seemed distant, as a historical event of the kind that never touched our lives in any lasting way. It was always “Help your auntie up the stairs – her knees don’t bend like they did before the accident,” or “Don’t stare too long at her scars.”
            Us kids knew where the scars came from, but not how they got there. We did not know what they meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment