Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Craft Wednesday #29 Compass

This blog needed a place for talking about writing. "Craft Wednesday" will be me talking about all things writing: how to write, why to write, and my own craft journey. I hope to learn and to share experiences with you. 

Compass

                One word is good enough. 
                Early this New Year I was challenged to think of one word that would be a sort of anchor, a magnetic north for this new year.
                Words are important to me. As a writer, I agonize over the right one at least twice in one sentence.  I edited just the last sentence twice before the period.
                Surprisingly, one word found its way to my conscious: Truth. Truth is powerful. Truth is a double- edged sword; it is capable of severing delusions, relationships, and ignorance.  Truth is also incredibly difficult to prove when no one has all the facts, or when they do have a few they twist them or withhold them.
                In this new year I am struggling with the truth: what is it? How do I find it? Will I even recognize it when I see it?
                It was either truth or faith, but soon I thought about how related the two are, and I also saw that of the two truth was definitely harder for me. Besides, in this season of treasuring truth, I believe my faith will increase in strength. It won't be that the truth will prove anything so that I can dismiss faith, but the zeal with which I seek the difference between truth and falsehood will translate to exercising the tenacity with which I believe what I believe.
               I started taking out poetry books from the library.  Poems are most powerful when the poet is deeply personal - truthful to the marrow.  Their experiences, whatever they are, resonate most when the poet opens him or herself up.
               Truth is really an exercise in clarity of soul. 
               In a world of subjectivism, I need that clarity.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment