Friday, April 22, 2016

Matryoshka and the Red Ox Page Two

Page Two

          The young woman shivered in the unbearable cold. She opened her eyes. Instead of the water she expected to see, she saw a great white forest spread out under mountains.
         A low rumble drew her attention to a red speck at the edge of the forest. Although she did not move, the forest slid at dizzying speed toward the young woman until the red ox and the tall trees halted before her, close enough that she could reach out her arm and touch them. The young woman tried to do so, but a nearby white pine turned around, showing itself to be not a tree at all.
         The cloak was of pure white. Pine needles clothed what appeared to be a dark, rigid trunk. The unforgettable face emerged from the shadows, along with arms like a man and the claws of some other beast entirely.
        “That’s my red ox,” the young woman said to the strange figure. “I must bring it home.”
         “I am Death,” the figure said. Its voice howled as the wind blew. “The ox has wandered too far. It now belongs to me, as it has come to my land.”
         The young woman shivered. “Please. Let me take the ox home. Mother and Father expect me to bring our ox to the feast we are to have when I return.”
         “Go back to them,” Death said. “You linger too long in my domain.”
         “Please, I need the ox,” she begged.
          Death studied the young woman. “What would you give me to spare your ox?”
         “I bring firewood, young switches, and dried flowers to the old man on the other side of the mountain,” the young woman recalled. “I could bring you more.”
         “I have no need of fire, nor of young twigs,” Death said, “but perhaps the flowers of your cheeks would be a fair trade for the red ox.”
         “I have no flowers in my satchel. I will have to pick you some,” the young woman said.
         “No, Matryoshka, the bright red of your cheeks are better than dried flowers.”
         “No,” the young woman said.  “Anything else!”
          Death and the ox slid away from the young woman until they were mere specks along a receding forest. The mountains, too, grew smaller with distance.
          The young woman gasped and opened her eyes again. Beside her roared the river, freed of its winter cloak, and behind her a pair of damp, fleshy arms tugged the young woman up the slight banks. A man’s breath labored close to her soaked hair.
         The tugging stopped, and the young woman fell as the man also collapsed.

OR

No comments:

Post a Comment